I had a super time this weekend with Barnaby, Ryan, Richard, Tom and the Thames Valley RepRap Group representing Reading Hackspace and some of the great projects we’ve done there, the event had a more than amazing turnout and so many interesting stands. I will be sure to attend other future events and highly recommend them!
We now have 2 permanently positioned CoralCams pointed at a single mature colony of Pocillopora Damicornis, a regular brooding spawner at the Horniman Museum. We’re using these cameras to determine when the corals spawn and how often. The aquarium trials will allow us to refine distance, depth of field, exposure, contrast and lighting required to build the on the computer vision classifiers we have been working on for the detection and counting of planula release. When this work is complete we’ll move this technology towards our broadcast spawning project.
Of course the project wouldn’t be complete without a couple of Raspberry Pi’s which record the footage and control the infrared LEDs using pwm via the gpio.
Tonight at Reading Hackspace we spent a good hour or two dissecting the Raspberry Pi cameras and figured out how to remove the cameras IR filter, which makes it super fab for night time use with infrared LEDs, this opens up the opportunity to use it with security, wildlife and astronomy applications in mind.
Don’t try this at home, we did break a camera on our first go. We took both the lens and sensor apart and tested them to find the IR filter, it sits just above the CMOS sensor. it’s fairly easy to remove if you are very careful, very patient and have a good thin scalpel blade. Be incredibly careful and note all those normal H&S guidelines when using blades and also don’t take these instructions as gospel as there may be a better way!
The author obviously takes no responsibility for you trying this and recommends that you don’t! Thanks again to Barnaby who gave me a hand and really should get his own blog up nudge nudge!
Some footage taken with the Pi Camera whilst filming http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7MOb1vp5JU
An update from Barnaby showing the Raspberry Pi Camera IR filter removed using a heat signature.
Another update from Barnaby showing the use of a Kinect distributed light pattern.
Today is pretty exciting in the world of Marine Instant Wild, here’s the first camera enclosure what’s more there is some meaningful software actually installed on it! We still have yet to put the camera in an aquarium but we’re edging closer!
Many thanks to Paul from the prototype design and Barnaby for finalising the internal structure – which is incredibly complicated and has some very fine tolerances and of course Ryan for designing the enclosure and machining it! Both are major contributors to Reading HackSpace and is just testament to how well these community based places work.
A lot of people seem to have struggled to implement reading multiple serial cameras on Arduino due to the hardware limitations, this is a software solution that uses a pointer to the connection and a listen command to iterate through each cameras “motion detected” state. It seems to work vey well.
There is still a long way to go, but this is a real mile stone in the projects development.